Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The grass is green in florida but you can't walk on it with your bare feet


For the longest time I was one of those people who always thought the grass was greener on the other side. In most cases I was wrong. After leaving a great teaching job for a crappy private sector position and then getting laid off , I have often times tried to shrug off the "I want to be somewhere different" thoughts. That kind of thinking has gotten me into trouble on more then one occasion. As of late, I have been maintaining a much more positive outlook on things. However, there is one "grass is greener" thought that I just can't shake, I don't like Florida. I tell myself every day that things are good, and they really are. But I am not sure how many more 85 degree halloweens I can take. And most of all, being a pale face in florida really really bites. It is so hot right now, all I can think about is the cool weather that shows up in November.

I miss the snow, I miss the cool springs, and most of all I miss the color of fall. I miss wearing scarves and hats and gloves. I miss being cold at night and covering up with a thick duvet and not waking up in a sweat. I miss home, and I miss the pumpkins that will last on the porch for almost a month. I miss going to night football games and drinking hot chocolate to stay warm. okay enough, complaining.

With that said, my favorite thing in the world right now to daydream about is the lovely hues of Autumn. Often times I will close my eyes and vividly remember a college camping trip to the gorge with my brother and some friends, drinking way too much beer, and then a long hike through the woods. I remember the sounds of the woods and the brilliant colors of the leaves. I can also imagine the 10 hour drive back home, that is a real pain in the ass to drive but surprisingly pleasant when your are driving through a scene like that of a postcard.

The picture above is of Red River Gorge, KY and I am not sure who the girl is but she looks like she is having fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, why don't you move back?

Anonymous said...

I can certainly understand how you could miss all of those things. I have only ever lived in Florida and I miss those things also. Heat and I don't get along, I despise it!!!! I would love to live some place that is much cooler and with nice cold winters. Christmas in Florida never quite seems like Christmas when it is 80 degrees outside and people are wearing shorts. I am just not bold enough to pick up and move. Too many friends and family here to leave. :0(

Amanda Saha said...

If it were only that easy......

Anonymous said...

Stop! You are making me sad! I miss the cold times too, but definitely not th snow! We don't get much of that in Delaware! Don't think Jim and I will be going back to good 'ol DE any time soon! Oh... Jim became an Uncle again yesterday! He's got another nephew!

Amanda Saha said...

http://luckyseekslove.blogspot.com/2006/08/lovely-scarf.html

Amanda Saha said...

floridians: don't be offended by my commentary....