Monday, June 28, 2010

Looking for the answers to my big sleep question....

Almost 5 months ago, I gave birth to a booming bundle of joy named Taj Kumar aka- tajaroo, tajmia, tajers, tajimoto, pea pie.  5 months ago I began to sacrifice the comfort and joy that comes with a full night sleep. With all my family and friends rallying behind me, they all assured me that eventually little tajer dodger would eventually sleep through the night.  They said this at 5 weeks, at 8 weeks, at 12 weeks and now - everyone just says - I'm sorry.

And now... every night from 2-4 am little Taj and I do this dance.
He wimpers, I lay awake and think, maybe he will just go back to sleep.
About 5 minutes later, the wimper becomes more frantic, like "HEY YOU - WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME? GET IN HERE ALREADY!
2-3 Minutes later and I have a mad little monkey demanding some attention.
About 5 minutes later, he is gulping down his 4 oz and all is right again in his world.
I lay him down after he is done and listen to him talk and gurgle himself back to sleep.
Now, it is 25 minutes later and I lay awake listening to the sweet conversations a 5 mos old has with himself as my husband is sleeping soundly.

So what to do? The doctor tells me it is about time to let the little guy cry out that mid night feeding. At 15+ lbs, he doesn't physically need it and is probably waking more out of habit than hunger. Also, the sooner I practice this new dance, the sooner Taj will get it. But what's a worried new mom like me to do?

To let cry or not let cry, I guess I am probably not the first new mom to ask this question.

No comments: