Thursday, November 02, 2006

To Insure Promptness- TIP

First off- a definition of tip - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip

If you are one that loves to hit up the bar scene, dine out, travel, or catch a cab instead of driving yourself around, chances are, you have spent a nice percentage of your annual income in gratuity.

As time goes by the pressure to tip any and everyone for services rendered is becoming increasingly popular. I can understand why you would tip your waiter, your bartender, the hotel bell hop, the cabbie, and the nice guys that work at Autozone who help you install your outted tail light. Many occupations such as these are paid very poorly- waitress waiges are below the minimum wage. But why on earth do I have to tip my hairdresser? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my hairdresser. I also understand that people have been tipping hairdressers for decades - but WHY? I understand she pays rent, she pays for product, and she pays her taxes. However, let's say I wanted to treat myself at the salon : I would spend $120 for my relaxer and $35 for a cut. That's $155 for three hours of work. Now that is a nice chunk of change. I am not sure what she pays in booth rental or for product expenses, but i feel quite sure that with over $50 an hour, she could cover her expenses without my 15% tip. And now i have even heard that certain repeat service providers, specifically the hairdresser, deserve a special christmas tip. I am still waiting on my christmas bonuses for the last two years of hard work with my employer.

Hairdressers of the world, leave your comments. I will keep up my end of the tipping bargain but some good explanation into this would be interesting and none the less educational. When did the hairdresser gratuity become customary?

So who do you tip and who do you not tip? If the acronym TIP means, to insure promptness, why is there an expectation that you still owe someone a tip if they do not insure promptness. For instance, the guys from Lowes delivered my range two hours outside of the range of time that was quoted - should I have tipped anyway? What if they were late as a result of poor planning on behalf of the management?

I read an article online that says outside the normal "to be tipped occupations" these can be added to the list.

painters
movers
plumbers
mechanics
appliance delivery guys
grocery baggers

who is next - the mail man?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only people I feel truly obligated to tip are waitstaff. I usually tip the people who cut Alex' or my hair, but that is usually because I don't go anywhere fancy. It's usually SuperCuts or some barber for Alex. So I know they aren't making it big.

The others.... well like you said I'm still waiting on my daily tips from people at work, etc.

What about waitstaff at buffets? I feel a dollar or two per person if good enough. They aren't really going out of they way for me. And if they can't keep my drinks (water, soda) replenished before I choke of thirst then I may hold back. I will adjust according to how busy the place is, the busier it is the more forgiving I tend to be.

I feel tipping is more about someone who has gone out of their way to provide excellent service, a good deed, or gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Maybe I'm just a cheap skate? I am always pinching pennies. I am sure that if I were making the big bucks and the worry of where the next buck was coming from was absent I would be more free to spread the love.

That's my 2 cents worth! LOL