Monday, October 30, 2006

The number you are trying to reach has been disconnected

I am a little depressed. One of my best friends in the world who used to live a nearby 400 miles away, decided that she wanted to stretch the boundaries of our friendship and move to Kansas. Yes, you read correctly, Kansas. The land of tornadoes, wicked witches, and miles of boring scenery. I have to be honest, it was not completely her choice to move, and definitely wasn't her choice to move to Wichita Kansas of all places but I am still going to loathe in my own self pity now that she is gone.

I felt it necessary to pay homage to my friend and her transitionary, former home of Newnan, Georgia. I will start off by listing my Top Ten Reasons why I love Raven and then follow up with my Top Ten Reasons why I loved Newnan. This is done in part because I am heartbroken about her being so far away, as she was geographically the closest friend I had from my former life. When I made my final call to her home on Saturday - what i heard was brutal and nearly drew me to tears- "the number you are trying to reach has been disconnected". The largest reason why I am doing this is because I know it will make a few people laugh.

Why I love her...
1. She is honest.
2. She is brilliantly smart.
3. She has a deeper southern drawl then my own.
4. She uses phrases like "higher the cat hair" in reference to price inflation.
5. She uses the phrase "is that any count". Kentucky slang for " is that of any account".
6. She lived with me and didn't kill me.
7. She is so Raven.
8. She will always be the point of reason when you need it but at the same time tell you "it's okay to be unreasonable" when you just want to be a bitch.
9. She knows the pain of a new, wierd family.
10. She makes me laugh.

Why I loved her Newnan Home.
1. It was half way to Kentucky and provided a great overnight stopping point.
2. It was out in the middle of nowhere but at the same time close to Atlanta.
3. The in-law suite.
4. The keeping room. I mean come on, who else has a keeping room?
5. The deck.
6. We had fun there.
7. Great Yardsales!
8. Good shopping and good food.
9. Downtown was great.
10. I could drive there in 4. 5 hours.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a nice entry.

Funny she lived in Newnan. I just spent 2 weeks outside of Atlanta for training for Pitney Bowes (my job in Orlando). They flew me up. Anyways, guess the town in which they put us up in (for lodging) for three days because their campus was booked?

Newnan.

ha! how crazy! and it is in the middle of nowhere.

Also,
I wanted to let you know that your pumpkin roll has been a smash hit ever since you gave me the recipe. My mom makes it practically all the time and for any social outing she attends in the fall. Everyone loves it.

It's part of our tradition now.


Thanks :-)

Anonymous said...

I was very saddened by your story. Good friendships are hard to come by and it makes it difficult when they move so far away.

Anonymous said...

sniff, sniff, haha.....only you can make me laugh and cry simultaneously!!!

Top 10 Reasons why Kansas is Cursed.....:
1) I am SOOOOOO far away from you and my family.
2) My cats hate it here....(Bella has been sleeping in her litterbox)
3) The guy that installed the sprinkler system cut my sewage line......thus the next 3 reasons
4) I have had to go to public restrooms to poo for the last 2 days
5) I am thinking about joining the YMCA just to use their showers
6) There are 3 Mexicans with a backhoe in my backyard on my freshly installed sod.
7) The plumbler told me that basements won't really protect me from a bad tornado.
8) My allergies are HORRIBLE here.....hmmmm....maybe I am allergic to Kansas....
9) The movers broke the flowerpot that my Uncle Steve gave me before he died.
10) After this move my husband and I are going to need a marriage counselor....or a lawyer if I succumb to the irresistible urge to have a bonfire in the front yard with his dead animal heads to prevent them from going up on the wall.....

I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!